Sunday is my favourite day of the week ! I love to cook something new, something fun ! Kadai Chicken is a very popular dish from our neighboring country. This is an adaptive version of the original recipe.
>1 Kg Chicken
>Oil(now i preferred ghee, you may use sunflower oil)
>Chilli Flakes-2 teaspoon(depends how chilly you like your food, i used a little more)
>Coriander powder~3 teaspoon
>Black Pepper~2 teaspoon
>Roasted Cumin powder~ 2 teaspoon
>Salt~As per taste
>5 medium to large sized Onions sliced
>2 large tomatoes sliced(you may also blanch it and then slice it)
1) Heat oil in a kadai(since we are cooking kadai chicken it ought to be cooked in a kadai.
2) Now we will sear the chicken first.
3) Once the chicken looks golden from outside and there is not much of broth left in the kadai, take it out on a plate.
4) In the same oil, add the onions and saute till its golden brown.
5) Add the ginger garlic paste to it and saute a little more.
6) Now its time to add the tomato and the masalas which include the black pepper, cumin powder, chilly flakes, salt and coriander powder.
7) Cover the kadai and let it simmer for sometime.
8) Now add yoghurt to the already awesome looking masala and cover the lid once again for 8-10 minutes.
9) Once you see the oil on the sides of the pan, it indicates the masala is ready to rock n roll !
10) Add chicken to the masala and about 5 spoons of kasuri methi.
11) “Bhuno” the chicken for around 5 minutes before and then add some sliced ginger, whole green chillies and coriander leaves.
12) Cover the lid for around 5-8 minutes and again let it simmer.
Voila Chicken Kadai is ready ! You can combine this with naan, roti or rumali roti.
If you try this..do share your feedback. If you got some improvisation tricks ,please let me know and I would be happy to learn ~~Rohit Srivastava
Note: Do not add water. This dish doesn’t need extra water for the gravy, the broth, the water that yoghurt add to the gravy is enough for a thick and consistent gravy ! Have a great weekend .